Monday, May 2, 2011

...and the award goes to...

Last night we had a barista competition at my store.  I lost.  Bad.  Didn't even place in the top three.

Yikes.

When they told me that the only reason was that I went over the time limit, I felt a little better, but not much.  There's always those coulda shoulda wouldas that people like to mention to justify their lack of excelling.  The fact is, I got beat pretty soundly.  And I'm okay with that... I think.

I was also thinking about the people that said they were going to be there but didn't show up.  At least three people from the store said they were going to compete or watch to cheer on the team... but they didn't come.  I am often confused by people that can say they will do something and then just choose not to because they think it might make them feel awkward or something.  I was really proud of my coworker, Carrie, because she was super nervous and she kept telling me how badly she didn't want to be judged by anyone, but I made her promise me that she would stick it out.  She was the only girl who ended up staying for the competition.  And she won.  Beat everyone.  Got free movie tickets.

This is why I try to stay committed to the things that I say I'm going to do, even if it looks like it might suck.  I feel like those are the times in which we get refined.  Those are the times that people excel as human beings and surprise themselves and everyone around them.

You go, Carrie.  You stay true.

I can be a cheerleader.

2 comments:

  1. I say take as much time as you'd like to make my drink. It's all about the love that goes into making it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jeff... it's been too long since you've visited me at work!

    ReplyDelete

Comments