Thursday, April 28, 2011

Can't stop thinking about...

Julie (my wife) said something to me earlier that I can't stop thinking about.  I forgot why or what context but she simply said, "Tim, only Christians read your blog."  At the time I just shrugged and thought, "She's probably right."

But the more I think about it, the more I'm sort of haunted by that fact.  Not that only Christians read my blog or worse, that NO ONE reads my blog... but rather that I am only friends with Christians and only Christians can understand what the hell I'm talking about on a day to day basis.

My roommie, Andrew, is a wonderful, unique man who has a deep spiritual connection with God, but I'm pretty positive he would never consider himself a quote, "Christian."  But aside from him and coworkers-- I'm pretty isolated.  Incubed in Christians.  Surrounded.  Cornered.

HA!  I'm kidding!  I love my Christian friends, and I do not mean to offend any of you.  If I did not have you, I know I would be very afraid and lost and alone.  And maybe suicidal.

But I don't want to live in a Christianese bubble (no matter how liberal it may be).  I want non-Christians to be feel like they can approach me about anything and not feel judged.  I want them to know that they can confide in me- that I will listen... and I will love them regardless.

But I guess if I want them to read my blog, I would need to read THEIR blog... hmm... Maybe it's time to branch out.

3 comments:

  1. This too is part of the journey you're on, I think. Imagine what moving to a new state will do for your network!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's any consolation, I don't think I would consider myself a "christian" anymore...and you know me!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find the balance between Christian and non Christian friends difficult. For example. Outside of church, I don't think I have Christian friends in Washington state (except for Bryce). So I am having the opposite problem I am stuck in a no christian bubble that produce strongly "pagan" residue all over me. I like it, but I can also recognize the change just because I am living in a different culture now. So all that to say.. be careful what you wish for.

    ReplyDelete

Comments