Friday, August 5, 2011

Fly like a robot

So I came across this "Ted Talks" episode and it intrigued me:



For those of you without the time to watch it (but for some reason the time to read my banter) it's about these inventor people who have finally done it.  They have made a robotic bird that more or less looks and acts like a real bird and can fly not using propellers or fans, but with the robotic simulation of a natural bird's flapping wings.  It's made out of carbon fiber and is remote controlled.  The bad part is that it makes a pretty loud whining noise as it flaps, and the good part is that it doesn't poop on your head.

Tim's thoughts:

Let me start by saying this is freaking rad.  But then let me also say this:

Why has it taken us so long to recreate the same style of flight as a bird?  They've been around for thousands upon millions of years, we've been around for just a bit less than that-- we've put countless things into the air that shouldn't be in the air in the first place... we've gone around the world and to the moon, but until now (as far as I know) we haven't been able to recreate a bird's flight.  They are the masters- they are the way that God arranged animals to soar through the skies-- and yet instead of copy the bird's design-- humans have created jets and helicopters and hot air balloons and gliders (all of which I love, I'm totally not knocking them).  I just wonder why the idea of flying inspired mankind to get ourselves airborne in whatever way possible, but the actual logistics of how we do it seemed to come not from nature, but from man's stubbornness to just get up there.

Perhaps there is something innate within us that resists being told how to do something by God or by anyone else.  I remember a time when I was much younger and was just learning how to tie my shoe.  I saw my brother tie his shoe earlier and it looked so easy, but when I leaned down to tie my own shoe, I was lost.  Utterly lost.  I tried this way and that but to no avail.  Instead of the pretty bow that was supposed to arise, I only got knots and more knots and bigger knots.  My parents were in the other room and I knew that all I had to do was ask and they would help, but NO! I was determined to do it myself.  Finally, minutes (or possibly hours?) I was in tears and my dad was baffled at why I didn't just come and ask. 

Throughout the course of my life my dad has often brought up this scene when I refuse his help/advice for things like love and work and finances.  I'd like to think that I've gotten better over the years.  But maybe that's just wishful thinking.

But I'd like to think I've gotten better.  How else will I hear God's gentle whispers?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments