Saturday, August 27, 2011

Books I've read recently

I finished my first Stephen King novel, Desperation, thanks to Jeff's suggestion.  It was exciting to get spooked out by a book again...  I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

My brilliant father-in-law gave me a copy of Generous Orthodoxy by Brian McLaren.  I found a kindred spirit in McLaren.  I love that he is completely at home with paradoxes (i.e., "I am a protestant, and I am a catholic, I am liberal and I am conservative").  He speaks truth like a kindly grandfather.  I give it 4 stars.

I reread Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell.  This guy has been making a lot of waves lately.  I appreciate this.  I find it really inspiring that a guy with all of his responsibility of pastoring a church and being in such a high profile position is still able to voice his convictions and his take on life, despite it being hard to stomach for many powerful Christian voices out there.  This book was decent- 3 out of 5 stars.

I kindled Alice's Adventures in Wonderland off of my iTouch and was overjoyed with the satire and nuances of the novel by Lewis Carroll.  4 out of 5.

I'm Kindling (is it okay that I'm using it as a verb?) The Count of Monte Cristo and have been pleasantly surprised with all of the extra background for the characters (I say "extra" because I've seen the movie dozens of times)... This is one of the first books I have read in which the main characters, Dantes and Mercedes, have barely been developed at all, while nearly all of the supporting characters are painted so vividly and undergo so much change.  I'm only 10% through it (some of you know how monstrous a book it is-- another reason why I read it thru Kindle) but I'm thoroughly hooked.

That's it.  Okay bye.

2 comments:

  1. (hard to find your "post a comment" button, might want to fix that)

    wanted to say that of any book to movie adaptation, the movie of Count of Monte Cristo is absolutely almost NOTHING like the book. They took such liberties with the plot that I am surprised they even were able to still use the title. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the complicated plot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback- you are the queen of blogging amazingness... I'll try to make the button easier to find. Yeah, I have already found a ton of differences which you would expect, but I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the movie...

    ReplyDelete

Comments