Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Whispers from a Hummingbird

I've been doing some research about hummingbirds lately.  I refilled our hummingbird feeder outside in eager anticipation of the first visits of spring.  As I was looking up the "recipe" for making the sugar water to put in the feeder, I came across some interesting info about the eating habits of hummingbirds.

Did you know that hummingbirds consume up to 12 times their body weight in nectar a day?  How about this, taken from Wikipedia:

 With the exception of insects, hummingbirds while in flight have the highest metabolism of all animals, a necessity in order to support the rapid beating of their wings. Their heart rate can reach as high as 1,260 beats per minute, a rate once measured in a Blue-throated Hummingbird.[11] They also consume more than their own weight in nectar each day, and to do so they must visit hundreds of flowers daily. Hummingbirds are continuously hours away from starving to death, and are able to store just enough energy to survive overnight.

Isn't that nuts?  Continuously hours away from starving to death!!  Now that's living on the edge.

It's hard for me not to think in metaphorical terms about my own life when I read this (mostly due to my Father's never-ending pastoral illustrations.  Love you, dad!).  Am I living on the edge?  Do I have that sense of "If I don't do this, I might just die?"  I guess I should clarify that I'm speaking about being hungry for things of a Spiritual Nature, not a physical nature.  I'm probably freaking Julie out right now. 

Don't worry, Babe, I'm not going to start an Extreme Sports Lifestyle club.  But seriously, it's been awhile since I've skydived, snowboarded, or anything crazy.  Watching the Tim Allen movie, "Wild Hogs" didn't help my need for adventure either.  Yes, it was a ridiculously dumb flick, but the call for adventure was there, and I remember good times when Dad and I took our road trip across the U.S.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting about the hummingbirds always being just hours away from starving to death. I love the illustration you use. How can we more live like this? I think it must look completely different for each person.......chewing on it.

    thanks!
    -T

    ReplyDelete

Comments