Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Musing the price of public speech

Oh speak to my soul, you bald headed Indian man
And you, black freedom fighter, raise your cry for justice!
You, Jewish carpenter, God's own offspring, shout to the crowds your wisdom
I will listen and digest
I may protest
But I will respect you and the Truth you bring

But you, silly boy on the computer
Spewing your musings and calling them "Deep Thoughts"
I find your lack of humility offensive.
I find your accusations too harsh.
I find your love to be wanting.
You assume the role of megaphone
Before you know the role of servant.

Ponder this, wise timothy:

God may have given you a mouth
And a mind to see into the murkiness of false religion
But a tender heart
Yes, a tender heart
The Wise One longs to stir in you

Who will listen to the cawing raven?
One who is bitter and unchanging.
Who will listen to the cooing dove?
One who is gentle and willing to learn.

2 comments:

  1. I love this. I probably don't completely understand it, but I love it. Thank you for sharing it. You are an amazing friend and person and I like reading about your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I won't give too much away, but if it helps, this poem is me talking to myself. It's my realization that despite the fact that I have a lot to say about things, the people that I actually listen to are the ones who are known for love, peace, and compassion. I am realizing that much of my speech does not really encompass that, and I understand why my speech is often unheeded. It's the old cliche: "people don't care how much you know..."

    ReplyDelete

Comments