Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A Name Change, a New Layout

So I was bored with the whole "Deep Thoughts With Timothy" bit.  Frankly, my thoughts aren't always deep.  Mostly just blasphemic.  So I guess I'm going to embrace that.

Christians have issues with blasphemy.  I guess a long time ago some people were worried that if some improper doctrine "leaked in", then Christianity as we know it would be corrupted (much like politics).  There were people trying to add Christianity to their orgies; Christianity to their human sacrifices; Christianity to their Justin Beiber obsession.  And I can see the importance of protecting our sacred religion from the likes of Justin Beiber (who is a Belieber, I'm told).

But lets get real.  Nowadays in the Christian world (whatever the hell THAT is) people will yell, "Blasphemer!" if someone simply reads the scripture and offers an honest, intelligent thought process (Love Wins, anyone?).

I guess I wear the term, "Blasphemer" as a Scarlet Letter-- not because I want to hurt God's feelings, but because I believe God wants us to be honest when we approach him.  If we don't believe he is good because we've encountered situations in which we think he was bad, then we shouldn't pretend that we believe he is good.

I just wanna say, "GROW UP, CHRISTIANS!" when I hear them say things like, "Well, my wife left me and I lost my job but God is good, all the time!"  You don't believe that.  Not even Job believed that.

So "blasphemy" as I am going to use it doesn't necessarily denote an exact denial of the tenants or foundations of the Christian belief-- it just means that all of those are up for examination, discussion, and execution.

It is my opinion that most of what I grew up believing (in an American Baptist tradition) was simply a middle class, white, evangelical, non-confrontational and self-righteous "here's-what-to-believe-so-sing-it-in-a-song-and-don't-question-it" kind of a thing.  I don't hate my upbringing, mind you-- it was what it was, and I'm who I am because of it.

But, I want to move past that- I want to keep learning and growing- I want to allow God the freedom to make me who HE WANTS ME TO BE.

I don't want to be a puppet of Christian culture.

1 comment:

  1. Preach it brother. Love the blog change and that you're embracing your beautiful thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Comments