Sunday, June 24, 2012

Like a dog takes to water



My dog, Ellie, is a water dog.  And by that I mean she likes to SPLASH in the shallow end of the water for hours on end.  As soon as we throw a toy into the deep end, however, she refuses to go get it.



For years this has baffled us, since she IS a lab (at least in part) and her sister from the same litter learned how to swim a long time ago.  We've plopped her in the deep end, only to have her panic and refuse to get near the water for the next month.  We've carried her slowly out with lots of encouragement, only to end up with scratches and cuts all over us from her clawing.  So, we finally decided to just let nature take her course.


This last trip to the lake, Ellie finally swam.  For whatever reason, she found the courage in her to leave that safe shore (for a brief moment) and dog-paddle her way to get a floating toy.  All that I did was stand a little farther in the deep end than her and lead her out with her leash!  Julie and I were SHOCKED and so proud of our little Ellie.  This might be us reading too far into it, but Ellie seemed extremely proud of herself and more confident than ever.  It was like all she needed was time and the assurance that her master was not going to lead her to her death.


*************

I'm trying to figure out how to not make this sound RIDICULOUSLY cheesy or cliche, but I guess there's no way around it: God is our master- patiently trying to guide us into the deep end of our shallow lives- and we fight and fight and resist and struggle because it's scary and different and we're not sure if we can trust God.

Lately Julie and I have been struggling with allowing God to lead us into our future, which for us means to stop worrying about it and let it happen.  There is so much unknown- both within us and outside us that sometimes I feel compelled to just make a decision on my own so that it appears like I have more control than I do.  I ask questions like, "Maybe I should just go balls out and take out a massive loan and start the coffee shop that I've always dreamed about."  Julie asks questions like, "Maybe I won't be able to finish my program and maybe I won't like being a professor anyway and then we'll be stuck with all the debt for nothing."

I feel the Almighty's hand in those moments, leading us back to the safe shore for just a bit.  "Let's take a breather," she says.  "You guys were doing great there, but maybe we should just recollect ourselves before we have another go.  I love you.  There is no need to distrust me.  You are safe."

Again, sorry it's so cheesy, but sometimes that's the way it goes!  :)

1 comment:

  1. I think you've touched on the constant struggle to relinquish our control.

    ReplyDelete

Comments