Friday, February 11, 2011

Solomon... Wise king or misrepresented fool?

So, I've been contemplating writing a short paper on Solomon.  Short because I don't have a lot to say, not short because there isn't enough material on the subject.  You see, the Bible records Solomon as "The Wisest of Kings" and yet much of what he said and did kinda makes me think that the narrator of 1 and 2nd Kings was biased, or maybe had a sword pointed at his neck.  The whole dream he had of God granting him whatever wish he so desired seems a bit unlike God.  Yes, people have seen God in visions... but usually it is in order for God to give them a message, not for God to come smoldering out of the Genie's Lamp and say, "Your wish is my command..."  It is my opinion that Solomon wanted the world to know that he was wise and rich and powerful so that he could hold on to his rule as long as possible.  I mean, the first thing the guy did was to knock off his brothers that were itching for the crown, just to "secure his reign."  Julie pointed out that he didn't really have a good role model in King David.  Sure, that dude was "God's Right Hand Man" but he was also a d-- well, he had his issues.

More thoughts to come.  I have to go back to work.

P.S. For some of my conservative readers: Yes, I DO believe scripture is Holy and ordained by God, but I believe that it was written by flawed men with sometimes flawed intentions.  The Truth gleaned from the pages of the Bible will always be from God, but not all should be taken literally, and not all should be taken at face value.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments