Friday, January 14, 2011

Good advice?

So, Julie and I need new cell phones.  The battery on mine lasts about 28 seconds and will randomly just shut off without warning.  Hers is a hand-me-down from our friends.  We've earned the "new every two" thing from Verizon about 2 years ago and haven't used it, since we don't want to get sucked into another contract.  But it's getting ridiculous.  So we're looking to upgrade.  And Verizon is going to have the iPhone on Feb. 10.  But is it worth it?

Just the other day my two best guy friends (who have the coolest gadgets) were trying to warn me off of getting the iPhone (they have the Droid and iPhone), because they said it's mostly just a big distraction all the time.  "Yeah, it's fun to have games and stuff," they said.  "But it's not worth the money."

It made me rethink some things.  First of all, it was good to be cautioned against making STUFF more important than it should be.  A phone is still just a stupid phone.  No matter how pretty it looks.

Second of all, I realized how silly it is to be the one who is giving advice and yet doesn't take it himself.  I love you guys, but it was kinda ridiculous to watch you playing Angry Birds for hours like addicts, all the while telling me not to get a phone with that capability because it can be addicting.  Granted, you are just kinda proving your point.  But still... come on!  Practice what you preach!  (And feel free to call me out when I am being hypocritical too...)

Third, I realize that although our society and culture is integrating more technology into our relationships all the time, having a phone that can allow me to talk to my family as if I was looking at them face to face doesn't necessarily mean that I will.  I mean, I still have to CALL them.  I still have initiate the relationship.  And the best technology in the world doesn't make up for connecting in real life, real face to real face.  (I'm not very good at that.  "When was the last time you called your mother??"  It's been awhile.  Sorry, Mum.)

That's all of my thoughts for the day.  I'm a little melancholy.

6 comments:

  1. I may have to disagree with the way in which you characterize what we were saying. I think the point we were trying to make is that the smart phone, while super helpful and frequently fun, is a distraction (which I believe we proved). I think you should do whatever you want in regards to your decision whether or not to get one, and I wasn't trying to sway you one way or the other. I have just found in my life that it has become easier to reach for the phone and kill time on facebook or angry birds than to have a meaningful conversation with somebody. I personally don't like to feel connected to the world 24/7. The issue that I have with the phone is that it gives me an excuse to not have time with my thoughts, or time to reflect on what is happening in my life. I never want to feel like I could not live without something, especially a gadget.

    I initially wanted a smart phone because I saw others with them who were able to do cool things like upload pictures to facebook instantaneously, check real time sports scores, etc. While these things are fun and convenient, the novelty wore off after a while for me. I want to be able to disconnect and turn off all the noise occasionally, and I have found that is harder to do with a smartphone.

    These are just my personal experiences and I'm trying to figure out what it means and if I should really take the step and get rid of it. I think there might be quite a sense of liberation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thank you, Noah- yes, I think you gave a much fuller picture of our conversation... ;) Let's hope that in everything in life, not just our phones, we can put relationships first...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Noah's account is much closer to the original conversation, which doesn't meet the criteria to be defined as hypocritical.

    Smart phones are a ton of fun, but there is the point where the novelty wears off and it becomes natural to just take the phone out and look at something, anything. It's really weird to be so connected all the time.

    You've been warned. Enjoy the iPhone.

    P.S. You were napping at the time, so we were trying to be quiet for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, gentlemen, let me make clear to all the 4 people that read this blog that I think you guys are both upstanding and brilliant men. And yes, you guys were very kind in letting me nap! But I think you're missing my point with this post- that sometimes we get "caught up" in an action that we wouldn't recommend to a friend, but that we're still doing anyway. Is it ok if I say it that way? Like if I suddenly started eating too much, and I just kept telling everyone that they shouldn't eat or they'll get fat, and I get fat- well, my advice was good, but I wasn't practicing what I was preaching. You guys warned me fair and square, but I guess maybe I feel like I need to just shine a mirror and say, "You have the power to keep this toy just a toy, or the toy might just have the power over you." Feel free to disagree, fellas, but I'm just trying to point out a fact of life... I know this happens to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fair enough. I guess it's just a warning to say, "Look at me, do you really want to be like this?" I hate the fact that I'm always tied to my phone, I long for simpler days (sometimes)...sometimes the smart phone is a life saver.

    After my father in law got a smart phone, you are my inspiration to keep it simple. But...you need another phone, and they don't make dumb phones anymore.

    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allow me to get all rhetorical with my bad self: I think the difference here is that we weren't telling you not to get a phone, or play angry birds, or send a text message, etc. If we had criticized people who spend too much time with their digital BFF, then yes, I think the hypocrite designation would be fair and accurate. What we were telling you was what our experiences as smartphone connoisseurs have been, and the pros and cons associated with those experiences. If I told a fat guy that he shouldn't eat KFC double downs for three meals a day and then did so myself, that would be hypocritical. However, If I simply mused that I didn't like the toll my triple-double-down diet was taking on my body, yet continued to eat them, I would not be hypocritical. I would be stupid. And Fat. I think the semantics are where we are disagreeing here.

    Sent from my iPhone.

    ReplyDelete

Comments