Thursday, October 14, 2010

Working out might be working...

So I got a gym membership finally and I've been mostly faithfully working out 3 times a week.  I was a little skeptical at first if (1), I'd actually stay consistent with it, and (2), if it would even be worth all the effort.  I mean, not to sound full of myself, but due to my high metabolism, I kinda don't need to work out to "look in shape."  But I know that I'm not in shape.  I start huffing and puffing when I walk up a flight of stairs!  I struggle with lifting things that I used to toss around like it was nothing.  And, frankly, I'm a Morris Man, and that means I like being STRONG.  Right, Dad?  That's what he always told me, anyway.

I still have memories of him doing chin ups on the rafters above our patio.  He was pretty ripped.  And my brother, sheesh, he's a fricken TANK.  But, uh, in a good way.

So, now I'm on the path toward health and strength.  And people watching.

There's this "gym rat" who is ALWAYS at the gym where I go- he walks around in his tight black tank top and cell-phone-carrying-arm-band, picking out the most outlandish workouts I've ever seen (balancing on a halfball while holding a 45 lb. weight, for example), then pretending to be on the phone with someone talking about how he's still at the gym.  I kinda just want to put my arm around his sweaty little frame and say, "It's okay, man.  You're cool.  You have friends.  You don't need to prove anything."

Well, my goal is to gain 5 pounds of muscle, and be able to run a mile in 7 min.  Think I can do it?

1 comment:

Comments