Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The American Dream


You looked me in the eye and said, quite plainly
The American Dream is a lie
Yeah, but, I said, look at your nice big house and backyard for having guests
All the cool gadgets and nice car and money to spend on whatever
But it's just stuff, you said
Yeah, but you can use it to honor God
Then you looked away

I started thinking about my dreams
If I was American or not with my passions
Yes, I'll be honest
I'm tired of not having money
I'm tired of not going out with my wife to a nice dinner
I'm tired of only buying what's used or on sale
Though I still like browsing the thrift stores... :)

But I WOULD like to own my own house
I WOULD like to be able to invest in musical equipment
I WOULD like to be able to buy Julie nice clothes
I WOULD like to be able to take classes
I WOULD like to be able to give away more
I WOULD like to be able to afford health insurance
I WOULD like to have a savings

I'm an American.
I DO pursue the American Dream
But I don't know why
It's just what I want
And now, thanks to you, friend,
I'm questioning all of that

God, guide my wandering heart
May I find solace in Your provision

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments