Monday, August 4, 2008

A harsh look at fragile life


It seems strange to me that at such a young age now our society gives us the power to keep or end life. "Here, kid, if you can get yourself knocked up, why don't you go ahead and decide whether or not you're going to face the consequences for killing life as well. Oh, and you don't need to tell anyone that you're doing this, either."

If you haven't figured it out, I'm talking about
a
b
o
r
t
i
o
n.
A topic that is ridiculously over my head in general, 1) because I'm not a woman, and 2) because I feel instructed and corrupted by my conservative Christian upbringing. It's easiest for me to jump to the unborn baby's defense, you know, because it's hard to imagine "little baby, 8 pound Jesus" killing someone, no matter if they can't even wipe themselves yet. But then again, that's a cutesy Jesus image that I like (c.f. Taladega nights), not necessarily the Jesus that exists that commands the oceans and skies.

So, because I know that I jump to that previous conclusion so easily, I'm even more inclined to think the opposite, oddly enough. A woman has a right, in our world, to not be a slave to whatever has ravaged her, whether it was willing or not. Here's where it would be COMPLETELY unfair for me to say that she should act one way or another... frankly a man can just throw his seed around without a second thought, but a woman can bear the reminder of an "encounter" for the rest of her life. This does not seem okay, least of all from a feminist perspective (which I flirt with from time to time).

Some things I read from a "Pro-Life Website":

Each year approximately 16,340 teenagers become pregnant in Washington.

In 1996, the pregnancy rate in Washington for teen girls 15-17 years old was 54 per 1,000.

In 1999, the CDC reported 1,130 abortions performed on girls 16 and under in Washington.

21.1% of Washington abortions are performed on girls 16 and under.

42,110 teenagers are seen each year at Washington family planning clinics.

Each year, 28,440 Washington teenagers receive birth control or other services from Title X clinics.

If you're wondering why I bring all of this up, it's partly due to the fact that in our culture, we rely SO H E A V I L Y on birth control. I wonder if someday we'll get to heaven or Nirvana or wherever and God is going to just shake his head and go, "What did you do to all of my wondrous children?"

"But God, look at overpopulation!! Look at the crowded streets!! The economic strain!!"
Then God says, "But look into their eyes, my children..."

And of course, there would be 8 kids that were prevented from life sitting next to Him there in heaven, all with a pitiful look on their face. "Why didn't you let us live?" Yikes. I'm freakin myself out here.

The other reason I bring this up is that, Yo, I'm a newly wed and I see how inconvenient it is to have a child right now. I mean... yikes. Am I allowed to talk about children that way? I just can't imagine all the emotional scars I would have if my parents told me, "You were really inconvenient, Tim. We wish we had been more careful to prevent you."

Think about it. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. Tim, you've lost it, brother. I have no idea where this has come from - perhaps to much time on your hands or trying to pick fights or trying to sound intelligent - whatever the case, you're sick. Get help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I just mention that I know what you mean.

    From my perspective (because I can): I am working my patooty off in order to preserve my ability to have children I'm not sure I want. yuck. If only I knew I didn't want them, I could remain fat and sassy and never have to worry about birth control, abortion, or children...

    Then we think about all of those women. Abortion has got to eat you alive. What are we doing to our women by encouraging this? but then stripping them of their ability to be in control of themselves... also frightening.

    The death of unborn children frightens me because I don't know a way to remember them. They are easily forgotten. I don't think death should be forgotten...

    Anyway... to abort or not to abort... which is the greater societal sin... for certainly there are times when we see a horrifyingly neglected and abused child and wish that someone had spared it its miserable life... oops did I just say something non Christian.

    Sorry, I'm not a very good Catholic.

    ReplyDelete

Comments