Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Coffee thoughts on a Windy Wednesday

I went on a delicious motorcycle ride today to find a coffee shop.  When I got there, I discovered that I had already been to this coffee shop.  It was disappointing and delightful at the same time.  Kinda like searching Netflix to find a new release to watch and then coming upon a classic that has such wonderful lines like, "You killed my father, prepare to die."

So in I walk, a little disheveled and windblown from the ride, and a polite barista asked me what I wanted.  "Oh, hell, I guess I'll have a pumpkin spice latte," I heard myself say.

He told me I could sit down and he would bring it out to me.  I sat in a handsome leather wingback chair and dove into "Uncommon Grounds" a book about coffee by a guy named Pendergrast.  Delightful.  There's a dad with his little toddler in the couch next to me.  She's proudly exclaiming, "I'll have that!  I'll have that!" to nothing in particular.

Before long the barista showed up, and proudly tells me that he made a leaf in my latte.  "Oh, good job," I state, earnestly, if not enthusiastically.  I take a sip and it's good.  Not jaw-dropping good, but good enough for me, right now.  Sweet, but still coffee-forward.  The milk doesn't taste burnt at all.  The book is getting better and better.


There's a lot going on right now with the business.  Solar panels are being installed, my house is filled with sinks, espresso machines, grinders, and boxes of miscellaneous stuff.  More is on the way.  I have my first employee ready to begin work.  I have a task list that's 2 miles long and a start date that seems impossible to keep.

But for some reason, I'm content.  Maybe it's the robust cigar and glass of whiskey I just had.  Perhaps it's the refreshing conversation I shared with my brilliant wife out in the crisp fall night air.  Maybe that pumpkin spice latte.  Whatever the reason, I am truly content in my soul.  I am embarking on a dream-- a big, scary dream-- and there's a chance that all this could just fall apart.

But there's also a chance that it could succeed.

And that's enough to feel good about right now.

-Tim



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments