Thursday, February 23, 2012

Let's call it Lent?

So it's now officially the Lenten season.  People are committing to abstaining from sugar, alcohol, negativism, technology etc, etc, etc for 40 days until Easter.

I wasn't planning on doing anything.  It's not because I don't believe in the practice.  I think it's a good idea to realize the aspect of our lives that we DO have control over.  Albeit small, we do have a role to play in the working out of our faith.  It's also a good idea to "test" ourselves to see if we really can go without something that we think we NEED in our lives, rather than just talk about doing without it.

The reason I originally objected to participating this year is that I feel no attachment to a "community" of believers.  I am friends with many Christians and enjoy their company regularly.  But I am not a part of a community.  This is partly intentional because of my frustrations with the state of the Christian religion in America, and partly because I am nervous about being crushed again.

If I am not a part of a community, why should I participate in a community event?  They have 'Fat Tuesday' where everyone pigs out before 'the fast' so to speak, then the celebrate Easter together, etc, etc.  I never want to be the casual attender that just hits up the "main services" (Easter, Christmas).  I never want to be luke warm.

But, the reality is that I have decided to lent.  I want to lent the concept of moderation.  Only one cup of coffee a day.  Only one drink with dinner (or none at all).  The point for me is to achieve balance- I've been so off-key lately.  I will start exercising.  Not a ton-- though I could if I became obsessed with it... just a little bit in order to balance.  I will start praying intentionally.  I will play more with the dogs.

That's the plan, anyway.  We'll see how it goes.

Tim

7 comments:

  1. Will you continue to practice moderation through the Easter season and beyond? This is my constant struggle with Lent; it seems so many want to give up "vices" or take on some discipline they had been meaning to take on anyways, and it becomes a sort of secondary New Year's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unknown

    - yes, I think that is the goal-- to live in a constant state of balance and moderation... but let's be honest- who really makes a conscious effort ALL THE TIME to do that? In fact, it might not be healthy to always be concerned/focused on keeping a moderate everything. Sometimes God asks us to get passionate (i.e. NOT moderate) about certain things. Like child slavery/prostitution. Just saying.

    Also what is the point in having a struggle with how others treat Lent? Seems like a wasted emotion. Kinda misses the whole purpose of Lent, doesn't it? I know I have often thought that some people's motives are not quite directed at God-- but let's let God decide that, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim, I've thought a lot about this response and you're right--I could take a step back from my puritan (Pharisee?) view. But it's not just a critical question but a personal one as well. On Fat Tuesday, after a particularly colorful outbreak on the freeway, I debated giving up road rage for Lent. But did that mean that I could start having road rage again in Easter? Or would 40 rage-less days effectively "cure" me of my rage, in that I could declare a season of freedom from rage as the end of my fast? Honestly I don't trust that I will ever be "cured," (if that was indeed the purpose of my fast), nor that I could even keep the fast--giving up something concrete like coffee or meat is much easier. So thanks for the challenge, it's got me to face some of my own weaknesses in the form of judgment and doubt...which is perhaps more "Lent" than any one fast.

    And sorry for the anonymous posts, I can't quite figure out how to post as "myself." --Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah,

    Thanks for your thoughts and sharing your personal experience! It is always tricky to anticipate the future, especially when events in your recent past have shown a tendency towards a negative outlook. Just like the guy who has tried to give up smoking 20 times and has always gone back to it after a few weeks... it can seem hopeless and even pointless to even bother.

    I myself find that there are certain "ruts" that I tend to steer into all the time. Certain attitudes that I never can quite seem to shake. Certain behaviors that I KNOW aren't me, but I do them so often that it's hard not to see them as a permanent part of myself.

    Perhaps Lent can be looked at as a time to "give it another go" not because God wants us to do futile things, but because we should ALWAYS be striving to make ourselves better and to grow and God is ALWAYS forgiving us and lifting us up after we blow it. And who knows? This just might be the time that we never look back.

    So whether our Lents are "easy" or "hard" like you point out, God is still looking directly into our hearts and minds... And i like to think that that whole "faith like a mustard seed can move mountains" speech was Jesus' way of saying that he CAN make a whole lot out of a little bit of effort and trust on our part.

    Tim

    P.S. Is this Hannah, my cousin? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I love that way of looking at it...thanks =) And nope, this is Hannah from FBC, wayyyyy back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, how has your Lent been? I've been a little up and down, but for the most part it's been very good! Only a couple weeks left before I get to go nuts again... J/K

      Delete
    2. This, pretty much exactly: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2012/februaryweb-only/self-discipline-lent.html

      Delete

Comments