Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sunday


The morning light creeps in like a silent lion in the grass
One eye opens, then another
I know what day it is.
I can sense my longing
I can sense my trepidation
You see, I have begun to attend a service
Yes, me, the cynic, in a small sacred space
Next to a dentist's office.
Why have I come?
No easy answer here
Do they "get it right"?
Is their music powerful and excellent?
Does the pastor preach dynamite sermons?
Do they pour into the community?
Is there a sense of deep respect for tradition, participation, and The Other?
No to the first 3.
Yes on the fourth and fifth.
I am not judged.
Though I do feel the Lord's gaze
He may wonder where I've been
And how long since my last confession
But
I am welcomed to the Table
With all my shit behind me
I kneel, on a cushy pad
next to those who have given me peace
And I accept the gift of Christ
And I fear Him but I love Him
And I remember His death and life
And when I cross myself after I have sipped the wine
After the priest has leaned down and whispered
And I have smelled his sweet breath
And seen his furrowed brow
Under robes of white
I know that I have died again
I know that I will live
And that Christ has provided and sustained
So I may live
and believe

And I do

2 comments:

  1. Hey man, really great to read this as we are about to attend church this morning (feeling a bit anxious about it). Miss you, wish we were together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, I'd love to attend sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Comments