Sunday, January 10, 2010

Home and home again

It's hard not to love San Luis Obispo, CA. The ocean is right under your toes, the weather is unbelievable, the atmosphere is casual. Spending time with family was sweet. And there was a new member to my family this time... weighing in at a whopping 6 pounds, 2 ounces.


Holding my brand new niece was unexplicable. I felt so much pride in this little cutie- but seeing her with my sister-in-law and brother was just miraculous.















What is it about new life that is so ... awakening? It's like a gentle reminder from God that He

loves


His


creation.


So much, in fact, that he enables His creation to also share in the joy of creating. What a gift! What Grace! (which is, incidentally, the name of my niece)

I'm not one that's shmoopsy about babies. There are cute ones, u g l y ones, and ones that are easily forgettable. But being an uncle- feeling the responsibility and helplessness in taking care of this child was so .. it.. it just took me off guard. I looked into this child's eyes...



And I experienced a whisper from God. "Look into the eyes of my newness. Look into the depth of my creation-spirit. Laugh with me-- cry with me-- feel the sensations of goodness. I love you, much in the way that you love this child of your brother's. I will protect you, in the ways in which you wish you could protect this babe. I will always be with you- even when you think you don't need me. I will always desire to be near you- even when you feel unlovely and shameful. I will cherish our times together."


This week was a re-awakening for me. Gracie Maralyn Morris, I will always cherish you. Welcome to your family.


Well done, Josh. Well done, Kat. You've changed the world.

(All pictures copyright Josh Morris)

3 comments:

  1. I dig the post, brother! Thanks for the kind words and sharing your thoughts. Grace is blessed to have such an awesome uncle!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments